Friday, April 28, 2006

A New Adventure

Hey there folks…
So It’s been a long while since I posted on here. It’s partially because I’ve been lacking inspiration to write, and partially because I’ve been super busy. I know sad excuses…

So I’m embarking on a new adventure soon, May 17th, 6:00pm-8:00pm is a house party to raise money for Geno Zamora.  Genoa is a friend of mine, and great on the issues that I care about. This is a man who understands the combination of treatment and punishment rather than a purely incarceration view of criminal justice.  This candidate will be stellar on GLBT issues, understanding that we not only have to protect our community from discrimination and hate crimes externally, but he also sees that we have to protect ourselves from ourselves within a community.  (This makes little sense, but keep reading it get clearer I promise)  Geno immediately saw the connection between drug/substance abuse, suicide attempts, and internalized homophobia, as well as internalizing harassment that GLBT youth go through.  Imagine, for a second what it’s like to be a queer kid, when all of society and all its norms are telling you that isn’t ok. Couple that with harassment from your peers and the off chance that someone you know offers you a joint, a hit, a drink, and tells you “don’t worry all the worlds problems go away after this.”  Yes this is a real problem as the drug abuse rates among queer teenagers are over ten times that of heterosexual youth. And of course, suicide rates are close to ten times higher among queer youth.  Geno saw these connections and said right away, we need to target education and prevention more, we shouldn’t be making these kids felons for the things they are experimenting with when it’s a coping mechanism. Education, prevention, treatment? What radical notions!!! Seriously!

So this new adventure, it’s a great one! I’m exciting to be raising money for this candidate, and I hope any of you that are able, will come to this fabulous party. Its being held at my friend Consuelo Espinosa’s home (a beautiful home in the north valley) and I have a GREAT host committee.  I hope you’ll all come if you can.  Or give to Geno at Geno2006.com

May 17th 6-8pm  9705 Guadalupe Trail NW
Call me if you want more details. Marshall 363 0152

In other news…
May 1st is a national strike for Immigration Rights. I and many of my friends are not working, shopping, selling, or attending school to demonstrate the need for more Humane and Dignified treatment of Immigrants in this country.

Check out Alisa Valdes Rodriguez ‘s blog about immigration issues, or the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, or watch the Movie “A Day Without A Mexican.”

Check them out! And I’ll be in better touch now, I promise!!!

  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home