Thursday, April 13, 2006

Compassion on Maundy Thursday

Today is Maundy Thursday. The feast of Maundy (or Holy) Thursday solemnly commemorates the institution of the Eucharist and is the oldest of the observances peculiar to Holy Week. It begins my favorite time of year in the Catholic Church. Yes, most of you know this, but for those who don't I'm Pro-choice, Gay, Liberal, Progressive, and Catholic. Proudly! (well mostly proud of it)

Good Friday is tomorrow, and its my favorite day of the church year. Absolute Favorite! My neighbor asked me this morning why that was, and I was tempted to just blame it on my morbid nature. But I thought about it, and I think of the Ultimate Sacrifice. The first Volunteer effort for the cause, as my neighbor said it. I do fully believe Jesus Christ willingly died, for the sake of the future of the world. For the sake of forgiveness and love and compassion all over. (No I'm not lecturing on faith much longer, this is just a little insight for the upcoming rant of angst)
I believe it is an amazing thing, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the plan they all had, and put into place for our salvation. This was the ultimate in lesson by example. We ought to all be thinking, at this time, not about ourselves, but about what is best for our community. And because this is Easter, and as a Catholic I think of the whole world as our community we ought to be thinking about the ways we can make the world a better place, and thinking about our own lives and desires secondly, if not lastly.

Which is why this mornings blogs got to me so badly. Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez and her fabulous blog talked a little bit about the way the "illegal" soldiers are being treated while they fight in Iraq "for our freedoms."
I hate this war, and I think that's been made clear. But I'm more horrified with the accusations that are flying around about what is happening to people who are committing their lives to this effort, and this country, and they aren't even citizens. And according to some news reports we're throwing them in plastic bags an burying them in mass graves.

Alisa talks about this in one of her recent posts.

All I can say, is, I beg of people in this time, (not just Catholics) because I think this theme is worldwide and spans all religious/spiritual beliefs. Please, Live with more compassion, and forgiveness and try to understand where others are coming from and the sacrifices they make for us and their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home