Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday, Washing Feet, and The Stations of the Cross

So last night I went to Mass. The Mass of the Last Supper, as Fr Bob called, the Central/Middle/halfway Supper because Jesus ate with his friends and colleagues before and after the "Last Supper." It was and is always a heartening and humbling experience. I chatted with my friend Maggie, a Presbyterian, about washing eachother's feet. She was shocked, they're "Presbyterian, we don't touch eachother, except that handshake at the beginning of church."
Well in my church, the whole community gets together, we stand in line, and we wash he feet of the person in front of us in line, then we sit and have our feet washed by the person behind us in line. "I your master, because your slave. I who made the mood and stars, kneel to wash your feet." This is a commandment for us, and in our church we follow that commandment fully. Its an amazing experience. The little girl who had her insulin attached to her waist, and who could barely kneel without help, knelt anyway, and washed the feet of the woman in our church who I believe has Cerebral Palsy. The woman then got angry at her own body for not being able to kneel and do the same for the person behind her in line. But she stayed and "helped" while the person behind her had her feet washed, because she felt that was what she was called to do.

Fr Bob gave his homily and it was moving, moved me to tears (which is not unusual during Holy Week.)
Fr Bob quoted an article written by a social worker who had done work in Haiti. I'll paraphrase it now.
My God is the god of dirty feet. My god sits with addicts while they go through withdrawals. My God cleans up vomit and urine, My God cleans the elderly who have lost control of their own bowels. My God takes care of children screaming and crying, and My God doesn't turn Her back on anyone.

Then she wrote of having asked a number of beggars in India if they has ever sen an example of human kindness. There were few answers.

I ask you all reading this to comment on my blog, or send me an email. and answer two questions.

Have you ever committed a selfless and un-solicited act of human kindness? (yes or no is all)
and Have you ever experienced un-solicited human kindness?
please let me know.

Azulymarron@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home