Monday, September 11, 2006

Gay Victims....

Today is September 11. I know I know, you probably have forgotten all about it, what with the president speaking about it, every news anchor in the country mentioning it, the memorial services, the movies, the commercials, hey there is even a used car sale for patriots today at a local car dealership! Well I needed to remind you in case you hadn’t been reminded enough already…

So I just want to do my part to remember September 11th. This isn’t about the political crap that so many other remembrances are about, but rather recognizing that this is a serious somber day in American history, and that we need to remember it appropriately.

I suggest you go to this link, today, and read the descriptions of the GLBT folks whose lives were severely changed or ended because of the events of that fateful day.

And also I want to take this chance to remind people of something. I have said it before and will say it again, we all were reminded time and again that September 11th wasn’t an attack on 3,000 people in two buildings; it was an attack on our ideas. An attack on which we are as a nation. Well the next time you have a conversation with someone about why Hate Crimes Legislation is necessary tell them this. Remind them that when a plane flies into a building, and kills 3,000 people its not about that it’s about the ideas that are being attacked. Well when a gay boy gets beat up after school, it’s not about that one boy getting beat up, it’s about a community being attacked. It’s about the fear that an entire segment of the population will feel as a result.

Think about it!!!!

I’ll have more to write tomorrow, I promise…

Gay Victims

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home