Sunday, October 14, 2007

Getting Ready

So I turned 24 on August 9th of this year. It was a difficult birthday, but a blast.

The month before I had gone to DC for a vacation. The experience had been a wonderful one. I spent three days in a conference, the Black Church Summit on Sex and Sexuality. It had been an amazing conference, imagine traditional Black Preachers, preaching in a way only Black pastors know how, but about relationships, sex, sexuality, and love. It gave me a lot to think about. I followed that with 3 days of wandering around the city all alone. I had never spent that much time alone before, and i mean seriously alone. I had no friends with me, I was occasionally on the phone, but mostly I was walking around alone. Being in a city that big, with people everywhere and still totally alone was an enlightening experience. It took something out of me, but it gave me something as well.
I did the traditional touristy stuff, monuments, museums, the zoo, historic neighborhoods, and stuff along those lines... I thought a lot.

While I was there I met someone. I wasn't looking for anyone, it was an accident but I'm eternally grateful that it happened. The time we spent together, my last night in town, was amazing. He was amazing. There were many reasons, but I won't go back into that...

So I came back to Burque, realizing things just weren't right for me here. I had to make a decision, and I called a meeting of The Council...(a few girlfriends who's judgement I trust implicitly) I asked their opinion, laying out the story (actually I had written the story, and if it wasn't slightly x rated I'd share more) and asking them what to do. They helped me make a decision.

So I did what any planner/organizer would do. I set a deadline and agreed to create a plan.

So My birthday party was called "Marshall-Palooza Countdown to DC" and I decided that by December 1, 2008 I would be on my way to DC. For a minimum of two years.

I've recently had experiences that re invigorated this particular goal of mine. So by the end of the week I'll have a full calendar ready for the next year, all the things I need to accomplish to get out of New Mexico.

On the list: Finish School (I should only need two semesters,) See my sister a little more, pack my apartment, find a job, look at options for places to live. In that mix my goal is to help elect a couple of people to office, an make sure we pass Domestic Partnership legislation in NM.

the next year should be interesting, and busy. I'm looking forward to it, and to documenting it on here...

2 Comments:

Blogger Berra said...

I'm so proud of you!!

And, I can't wait until I finish school in June of 09 so I can come join you in DC. If nothing else, by then I know I will really miss living in a big city with decent public transportation...hehe.

Also, I'm glad you are blogging again. It makes me really happy (if not just a little bittersweet) to read what you write and keep up with you.

*MUAH*

1:11 AM  
Blogger Peter Varvel said...

RUNNING toward the Future You, Marshall!

Good for you, friend!

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home