Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Questioning

So its like rollerblading on a treadmill.
I don't know what that meant.
I'm writing to make myself feel better, maybe thats not a great idea.

I'm a columnist in the NM Voice now. Its a statewide queer newspaper. I'm starting out by comparing candidates in the local and statewide races on queer issues.
What is a queer issue?
I went to a conference in Tucson, last weekend. the Young Womens Collaborative, Leadership Forum. What an intense weekend. I was amazed at how much the Feminist movement hasn't forgotten about political organizing. Of course many of the women there (there were only 3 men in the room that i remember) were radicals claming that political orgnanizing isn't helpful or successful ever. Thats a valid point, I disagree with it but I can see why they feel that way.
The feminists in the room not only forgot the classic organizing principles, but they were less than what i had hoped for in a crowd of new wave feminists.

I am a classic organizer, politico, lobbyist, within the system kind of person. And I wasn't welcomed really by the attendants of this conference. Well some of them loved me for it, but few of them really. Most of them couldn't believe i was there. In fact I was accused of taking avantage of my White-Male privelege (yes i do look white.) to pursue my own political goals, and using the feminist movement as a tool for that. WOW.
That hurt....


Then I came back, had a few days with my boyfriend, which was nice. (we're not together anymore, the previous post get to that)
Then I started working right away again, and now that I'm freshly and involuntarily single, I'm drowning myself in work to make the pain go away. Is that an addiction for coping habbits that activists have?

So I have a few questions....

(A) Is intimidation from a person a sign of weakness?
(B) Can two people who are in difference places in their lives have a successful relationship?
(C) Is it possible to have a good break up?
(D) Do you ever really stay friends?

(E) Is it a crime to work within the system even though I'm aware the system (electoral and legislative politics specifically) has been used to oppress my people for years?
(F) Can anythign really ever be accomplished politically?
(G) Can we be ok with using the White-Male privelege to break into the system and affect change for people of color and and women?
(H)Does the Right ever ask itself these questions?
(I)If not is that a strength or a weakness?
(J)Do you know what happened in South DAkota?
(K) Do you know whats happened recently on the Supreme Court with regard to federal protection of abortion clinics from violence?

Please if you have anwers to these questions email them to me. I want a dialogue...

AzulYMarron@gmail.com

1 Comments:

Blogger NancyLilMcGill said...

I love the fact that you're so active. I'm jealous. I'm proud of you. I love it.

I've also started to carry a wire hanger around with me. Yes, probably lacking in tact, but when people ask me why, it gets the point across.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home