Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Identity

I felt like recently I spent a lot of time on this blog talking about being Queer. Its a big part of my identity, but I am constantly facing problems with identities, because I spend too much time thinking about being gay, or its what controls my life.

I have a friend, who also work in the politial field, who said, last month, on World AIDS Day a candidate called him, to ask him was what going on, and where he should campaign. The friend was pissed, because (A) AIDS is not a Gay Mans disease anymore (though it wasn't ever to begin with, but still) and (B) my friend didn't know of anything going on for World AIDS Day.

This is a difficult situation to react to, do I want to help out my friends and be there for them when they come to me to talk about how to get the gay vote? Absolutely, if they are good on gay issues. But at the same time, doesn't anyone remember that I worked for a Labor Union? Or am on the board for a Pro-Choice PAC? What about that effort I put into organizing for the repeal of the death penalty? or Pay day lending center regulations?

I grew up in two families, one that was fairly redneck in its reality, nothign wrong with it, but uneducated, not particularly liberal in many ways, very back woods sort of. And the other, Hispanic, but only partially, as my dad's generation was taught, among other thigns, to take advantage of light skin color, and be as whitewashed as possible for success...

So here I am, redneck to a T in some areas (hence my aspiring bullriding career, or hobby rather, NMGRA.COM the rodeo I'm riding in will be in august) Hispanic, but only partially, eat teh food, don't speak the language, drink the tequila, but no the beer. Celebrate and pray in spanish, but don't forget white people food on major holidays, lest the neighbors get wierded out over enchiladas at christmas.

Then I come out, in a small town, where, honestly the bigger sin with most of my friends and family was that I was a democrat, not that i was Queer.
(This is a sidebar i need to let out)
I use the term for many reasons, first of all, I like the empowerment It makes me feel. I say QUEER, and it is the "using the masters tools to dismantled the masters house-Bell hooks-audre lourde discussion. It is me saying, you can call me that, I don't care, in fact I'm SO proud to be queer, I'll say it to, just to piss you off.
Queer is not a term most of my friends use, and not something I like to hear from straight people too frequently just yet. I have friends who use it, and they do so understanding the power it has, and they do it on purpose, its not to be taken lightly though, this word.


Back to the main discussion, small town, queer, chicano (though at the time Hispanic, because I was told thats what I was) and then a Feminist.
I became so adamently Pro-Choice when I was in high school, various reasons, but they are there. I'll get into them more-so later in a longer conversation so to speak.

So how does someone like me describe themselves appropriately? Where do I align myself on cultural issues? What is it like, to be any of those peopel on yesterdays blog "I AM"? I'm not sure, necessarily, I was also facing racial, economic, an other hatreds at the same time.

I'm not sure the point of this, entirely, except that gay people aren't JUST gay. But just as women aren't JUST women, does that mean we should be quiet about the prejudice we face as Queer people?

I don't like taking off any of my hats. Democrats are in trouble, and need to win elections. But I'm not trading my values for a win, not when they come at the major expense of my community. Somewhere in New Mexico there is a Chicano couple, two men, in their late 30s, who have been together for years. One of them works for Wal-Mart, and other, is a teacher. Since Wal-Mart doesn't offer benefits, and its the only job he can get, His partner's health insurance would be a big help if he could be on it. Should I sell out their need to have good domestic partnership statutes on the books, to win a victory for labor unions? Can't we do both?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home